Conor McGregor has finally responded in the latest back-and-forth over the potential boxing super fight with Floyd Mayweather, Jr., doing so in the most appropriate way.
The “Notorious” was supporting his friend and Irish Olympic boxer Michael Conlan in his victory over Tim Ibarra in his professional debut at Madison Square Garden Friday night, asking a publicist afterwards to point out “the boxing guy” he had met earlier in the day, who turned out to be ESPN reporter Dan Rafael.
McGregor approached Rafael and blew up about the rumored mega fight, declaring that he would take over the sport.
“I’m the boxing guy!” he said. “Watch me take over boxing, trust me on that. No one in this boxing game knows what’s coming. Trust me on that. I’m going to step in there and shock the whole goddamn world. Trust me on that.”
“Look me in my eyes. Twenty-eight years of age, confident as a mother*cker, long, rangy, dangerous with every hand. Trust me, I’m going to stop Floyd and you’re going to eat your words. The whole world is going to eat their words,” McGregor continued.
The UFC lightweight champion’s comments follow a week after Mayweather announced that he would come out of retirement just to fight McGregor, as well as two days after UFC President Dana White expressed his openness to seeing the fight.
“I do think it’s gonna happen,” White said at the time. “I think it’s going to be a tough deal, because obviously [there are] a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. On the flip side, there’s so much money involved. I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”
When asked Friday night about how close we were to see his fight with Mayweather becoming a reality, McGregor gave a straight forward, but familiar, answer.
“We’re getting close, don’t worry about it,” he said. “You’ll hear about it. I’m out of here. I am boxing.”