Man Reportedly Electrocuted After Falling Asleep With His iPhone Charging 

Like many iPhone users, Wiley Day fell into the habit of sometimes falling asleep with his charging smartphone next to him in the bed. That routine nearly cost him his life on March 22, when his dog tag necklace reportedly slipped between his charger and an extension cord, making contact with the exposed prongs and sending roughly 110 volts of electricity through his body.

Advertisement

Day’s chain essentially became a small conductor for the electric current traveling between the extension cord and the phone and nearly killed him.

“[My neice] said I kept yelling ‘Jesus!’” Day told The Washington Post, after the shock threw him from his bed to the floor and knocked him unconscious. “When I came to and figured out what happened, I literally stood straight up, and I said, ‘Oh my God, I think I just got electrocuted.’”

Advertisement